Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What did you eat for Memorial Day?

Aren't special occasions so tough?!!  I got my plate out determined not to 'crater' at the picnic. Of course, I brought my family's favorite potato salad...not at all healthy but a favorite of some of my friends' too. 

Since I made it, I felt obligated to eat some of it. How silly is that? But it was a VERY small dollup...teeny-weeny!   I must say, in my defense, that I have made many a cake for baby showers and wedding showers and had nary a bite..not even of the icing! So I'm not that hopeless of a case LoL!

Let's see...I skipped the hot dog..those things are just nothing but chemicals...but I did have a scoop of someone's homemade chili with beans. This was very good! And I had watermelon..always a safe choice. And I scooped up a big helping of coleslaw. Before you croak..just know that it was FANTASTIC! It had a basalmic vinagrette dressing and olives in it for some extra 'pizzazz'.    (I tried a piece of sausage but it was too spicy--so I skipped it thank goodness!)  That was it! Another picnic safely navigated. :o)

  I didn't have the desserts at all because I'd rather talk than eat..thank goodness!  I kept seeing it go by on people's plates and forgetting to go get some. (Thanks for the distraction Lord!)

But when we got home..late at night..sigh..I had a leftover hamburger patty..but I did eat it on a tortilla rather than on a bun. I was so hungry!  Thank goodness the fridge was stocked with sliced cantaloupe which was a great snack for our movie night. 

What are your strategies for avoiding excess calories on the holidays?  I do know that I went armed with a 'mindset' of not feeling obligated to 'eat' just because it was there. (all except for that potato salad--yipes!!) 

Happy Picnic-ing!
xo
Donna

4 comments:

  1. I am so ashamed! I ate breakfast for supper last night, which included biscuits and gravy. Not exactly health food, but it was delicious. I'm so glad you are rejuvinating this site since you really inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bee...I just wasn't doing well..and was so swamped with selling my dad's house and dealing with the estate stuff. It was so so hard! I'm feeling like a new woman now..more energy. Can't wait to share about my hula-hooping! :o)

    xo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Donna! Thanks for joining the June Eating Well Challenge! I know it's going to be hard, but like Keelie said, we'll have to pray for each other!

    Good job on no Memorial Day dessert! Wish I could've said the same! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bee...we all do that sort of thing. Just look at my post about unslumping... 2nd day of the healthy eating challenge and I eat macaroni (brought to me by a helpful 16yr.old..Want some mom?) cheeze it's and malt balls at the movies. Sigh... It does happen doesn't it! :O)

    ReplyDelete