Tuesday, July 26, 2011

More than just a pace

For the past few days I've been getting in touch with fellow runners trying to find a way to improve my performance with the stroller. I've searched endlessly for some magic stride, tip..anything to help me. And then it dawned on me..it doesn't matter. Okay, it matters a little but not in the way I first thought.


I'd like to say that come my first 5K I'll run my goal of a 10 minute mile pushing my son who's 35lbs. Yeah, in a perfect world and with endless hours of training I could likely pull it off. I've realized over the last few days that although I'm still striving for my goal, I've already accomplished something much more valuable.  You see, every morning the littlest love of my life bounces out of bed ready to get himself dressed and strap into the stroller. Not because we're going someplace great but because he loves to sit in the stroller with his juice and a snack as he cheers me on to run faster and go farther. He absolutely loves to run with me!
photo credit


 It's our time in the morning before the chaos and breakfast to just enjoy nature and unplug. The sites around us aren't breath-taking but he loves to watch the squirrels play and hear the birds sing. By the end of the run I'm exhausted and smelly but he's still all smiles and ready to head home for some breakfast and cartoons. Come bedtime he talks about how he's my running coach and needs his sleep to do it all again in the morning. Don't get me wrong, I still have a goal to reach but even if I never get there I've instilled in him a love for getting out in the world and making exercising fun. I've gotten permission from all the events I have planned to run with my son, just the way we've trained. He's a big part of my success and I can't imagine leaving him on the sidelines. I hope someday he looks back on this and has the same great memories I do.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jaime, What a beautiful story. That is worth every minute of the training. How precious! You are right, whether you meet your goal or not, you've done something really special for you and your son. This post really made me smile. :O)

    xo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that has to be the best exercise partner...ever!!! So glad he's "helping" you!!!

    ReplyDelete