Friday, June 4, 2010

Quick update

To be honest there isn't really much of an update...life got incredibly busy and the weight loss stopped...didn't gain any weight really but I wasn't exactly making any progress either. Last week I decided to take stock and see if I could figure out the real cause of me eating unhealthy foods when in fact I love fresh fruit and veg above anything else! It basically came down to laziness...or should I say tiredness. I get to work at about 7.30am...spend the day somewhere between my desk and the lab, but usually standing or walking at least...get home at 5.15pm and by that time I'm tired beyond belief. Don't forget I also do the evening job - the graphic design - since Andy is still out of work after losing his job 14 months ago. I love the evening job, but sometimes you just want to come home from work and chill, don't you? So anyway, where was I? Oh yes, dinner is usually squeezed in sometime between the day job and the evening job...and is therefore stressful, rushed and carried out when I'm grumpy, in pain and tired. No wonder we eat a lot of processed food!

Ok, so I started thinking back to how I used to get round this the last time I lost a lot of weight. I was a full time student last time I did this...and no less busier than I am now. I remembered that the last time I did this, I used to cook on a Saturday morning and then refrigerate or freeze everything. It wasn't ideal, but I did this until I got more energy after losing about 3 stone (42 pounds) - and that's what I plan to do now :)

So last Saturday I made a right mess of the kitchen and actually ENJOYED it because I wasn't doing it when I was tired and cranky!
I've booked today off work so I can have some "me" time while Andy is at a job interview and guess what I'm doing? You guessed it...some cooking. I've discovered that I only have so much energy and I need to cook quickly before it's gone!

6 comments:

  1. That's such a good idea, Ms. Louise...to cook ahead. My friend, Missy, who is also a member here and going to WW...does a lot of her cooking for the week on Saturday, too!!! I don't do that because I usually just fix me and hubby a piece of chicken, or fish and some veggies. He's actually lost weight, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific idea! The main goal is to eat homecooked meals that are healthy and delicious and easy to prepare.

    I like your kitchen counter...everything right at your fingertips :)

    Stay the course,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...including the fire extinguisher LOL.

    Now take the mess on the counter that you CAN see and multiply it by about 6 and you'll gt an idea how much cleaning I had to do afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess we all have reasons why we put on weight. I have the time to cook, but I find I just like to eat to much of my main meal and I like to snack. It I stop exercising (like when I am sick) I often will gain. The exercise does not help me loose, but it does keep me from gaining. I would like to loose 10 pounds.....but I will have to stop the snacking and the seconds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS. Hope your hubby finds some work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great idea! My son and daughter in law were both doing so well and inspired me to really stick with it. Then they got busy with his new job and the odd hours (it's a family business). The next thing you know, they can't cook anymore and are eating out and on the road. I just read an article that was entitled, "Is your job making you fat?" The whole idea is that if your work schedule is too demanding, you just don't have the energy to cook and eat right. My heart goes out to you because I can imagine that makes it very hard to eat right.

    That is a great idea to cook on the weekends though. My nutritionist friend, Debra, works tons of hours and that's how she does it. Cook a good soup to get them at least through lunch.

    ReplyDelete