Friday, June 17, 2011

From dream to reality


 (I wasn't going to post this til after my 5K but I changed my mind)
This is likely the most emotional post I’ll  ever write. It’s sole purpose is inspiration.

Born at 1 lb. 14 oz. , three and a half months early the doctors didn’t give me much hope of living. I finally came home in an incubator at three months old to my young mother with the mission of helping me thrive. She was given the news that walking wasn’t something I was likely to do. At the time they gave her a diagnosis they thought she could handle but in later years I dug through my records and discovered it wasn’t at all what that told her, it was actually a very mild form of Cerebal Palsy .She did an amazing job with what she had available. 

Fast forward a handful of years and I found myself at the Shriner’s Hospital for Crippled Children in Springfield Mass. These people are truly angels!! And so began twelve years of braces (just like Forest Gump only mine were hard plastic), cast that ran from my hips to the balls of my feet, more braces with metal bars and even a wheelchair. For all intents and purposes my childhood was spent immobile. Sports were not an option; in fact walking took years to get right…yes, 12 yrs to learn how to walk like the rest of you. My childhood was spent longing to play sports just like other kids instead of sitting on the sidelines or spending hours in therapy.

By the time I hit Jr. high School I could walk but I was noticeably uncoordinated when it came to simple things like stairs and I was still banned from gym class. No matter how well I did, I was still labeled “handi-capped” to the world. So when I changed schools and towns for high school I decided to make a complete change. I was going to start school “normal”! I threw out my braces and never said one word to anyone about my inability…in my mind, it didn’t exist!  

For the first time I went to gym class! I was horrible at sports, I was horrible at everything but I gave it all I could. I had never played a single sport in my life and here I was fumbling through soccer, basketball, football and volleyball! My legs hurt, my knees throbbed and my lower back screamed daily but I was determined to be normal. No matter how hard it was I wanted to walk the halls like everyone else, I was going to erase my handi-capped label for good! It wasn’t until my senior year that my knees going numb to the point where I couldn’t stand led me to tell the truth to my gym teacher. He wasn’t sure what to say; after all he’d badgered me all this time about my poor gym performance. From that day on he stopped getting on my case and just smiled at me. 

So here I am at thirty years old and to look at me you’d never know I went through all this. I still have days when my knees go numb and I’ve been known to be less than graceful. I trip over my own feet some days, I’m still horrible at sports and I’ve even been known to fall over standing still..yes, that’s possible. The difference is that because of endless support and sheer determination I’ve gone from fighting to walk to training for a 5K with the goal of one day finishing the Boston Marathon. I run to honor the Shriner’s and their commitment to those just like me!!

So why did I tell you all this? Because I want you to remember that you truly can overcome anything that stands between you and your goal. You’re going to have to dig deep and the pain may even be unbearable some days but push further and don’t give up!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Jaime...I'm just floored!! I will never EVER complain about anything again. I didn't cry..but I'm tempted. Wow--Hugs hugs hugs hugs!! You are my hero! What a girl!

    What a testimony! I love you friend. I'm glad we met so very long ago on Comin' Home. I'll never forget that first private email you sent me..and we've been chatting away through thick and thin all that time..and I never imagined what you had gone through in life.

    I'll hoop till I drop! You should have seen me last night...I should video it. I square dance with teenagers. The last 30 minutes is no stop wild super fast dancing with all sorts of crazy moves thrown in. Me and two others are the only adults fast enough to keep up with the kids.

    But we don't have good enough AC so my face gets BEET red. I'm not tired but I sweat like a seive..family malady. I wanted to quit doing it because I no I must look so bad. It was a group of new teens not the ones who've watch me learn to dance...transformation from couch potato to sheer 30 minutes of craziness.

    Our favorite dance is called HOT HASH where Matt..the caller and father of our 'new teen square dance movement' in Texas this last four years...calls as fast as he can sing...and we all try to keep up.

    It's so much fun..but I was tempted to quit..just because of my red face..and the lack of support from the 'new' teens in the group who don't know me yet. I promise that I will never consider that again.

    It's only week two..by the end of the summer the red face will be gone. In the meanwhile..I need to hoop till I drop so I can speed up the getting in shape process.

    And all of this..because you inspired me to. If you can do all of that..then couch potato grandma me..can do this too, Red face and all. Hugs again to you dear friend. :o)

    Love you!!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this. It is very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing and I know it took a lot for you to share. Thank you so much for letting all of us know that we, too, can overcome. After all...my obstacles are nothing like yours. My biggest one is laziness!!! HOPE you beat all kinds of records running that 5K!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much! It was harder to share then I thought it would but that's because talking about it brings back the pain of the struggle. I'm thankful for it though, it's made me who I am. I have a Shriner's hospital patch I'll be putting on all my event shirts as a self-reminder and hopefully it'll inspire others. I understand that everyone has issues to overcome but it really bothers me when truly, seriously lazy people (who can't be bothered to even try)think that they can complain their way to greatness. They completely take for granted the fact that they are actually able to get up and move!! I know that someday my body won't let me move so I'm going to take full advantage of the time I have now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing this. I am so amazed of determination that you had have through life. Girl, you will do great at that 5K and you have a great time. God Bless you!!

    ReplyDelete