Sunday, June 5, 2011

Give yourself a greater cause

When it comes to weight loss there isn't much worse then being stuck in a rut. You wake up every day knowing that you have a diet to stick to and an exercise routine to adhere to. All your days start to feel like the movie Groundhog Day, the same thing every day. Well if your brain is bored, imagine how your body feels! There's no doubt it's time for a change and if you aren't careful you'll talk yourself right out of success. You start thinking "nothing's changing so why bother, I just can't do it." And that dear friend is where you are wrong! You can do it! You just need to spice things up, put the fun back into it all.

It's easy to let yourself down, so the trick is to find a cause greater than yourself to work towards. While you're on your weight loss journey why not do some good! My advice, find a local walk/run event and train. Why? Well even if you can't run the 3.1 miles in a 5K that doesn't mean you can't walk it. You'll likely meet some great people and do something good for others, a perfect combination for motivation! Now you can get up every morning with a date on your calendar marked and a cause to work towards. Your workouts aren't just for you anymore, someone else is counting on you to get off your butt! Add some new tunes to your workout and you're halfway there!

I've recently found myself in this very same rut. Then I had an "ah ha" moment! Why not pick a cause dear to my heart and use it to re-inspire my workout? So off I went to find a cause. I've always wanted to do the 3 Day Walk for the Cure for breast cancer but knew I wasn't there just yet. So I found a 5K for the same cause..perfect! So the date was set, Sept. 17th! Having no ideal how to train I went hunting and found support groups and training podcast to help me. So last night I got my ipod ready and marked the calendar! I was asked by a friend what motivated me. My answer "Honestly there wasn't a reason not to do it. I'm already working towards being healthier so why not train with a cause greater than myself in mind? Surely running in this event is more fun then running on a treadmill like a hamster." I find myself thinking how great it'll be to run in the 5K with my husband and son cheering me on, knowing I worked hard for this moment and because of it, there just might be a cure someday. How could I not be inspired by that every morning!?

3 comments:

  1. I really like doing it for a cause....helping yourself while helping others! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime, I've been so busy this weekend with a special friend of my daughter's visiting. My head is in the clouds!! It's all so exciting. But here it is--Monday morning and I'm so glad to see everyone visiting and posting!! Yippee! This is a GREAT post!!!

    Thanks so much for encouraging us this way. I love it..though the idea of a 'run' doesn't appeal to me.

    I really think that whatever motivates us is what we should do. This sounds like the perfect thing for you and I'm so proud of you!

    You have been such an inspiration to me.

    Thank you Jaime. Without you I never would have gotten back on track. :o)

    xo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jaime, I just have to add that I LOVE the idea of giving to a great cause..I just don't like the idea of running. I can't handle the heat..at all. My face gets beat red and I can't cool off.

    I'll just have to find another way. I mean..maybe if you were my next door neighbor and dragged me to a run/walk..ha!

    xoxo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete