Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A new change

Many of you know that my husband, Allen, is one of the best cooks around. He always makes me my favorite dishes and it is hard not to over-indulge. Since I'm a picky eater, I don't have a lot of choices on what to give up because I would starve. And don't suggest I try new things. I'm 53 and that hasn't worked since I was 4 so I don't think my taste buds would comply now.

Recently Allen has changed jobs (he's a cook for a living). He hours vary and he will be working some nights. The change in the routine will mean I have to fend for myself. Since he has done 98% of the cooking for 29 years, I'm limited on what I fix. On his nights to work the evening shift, I will be in charge of my own meals. That is scary.

But since I do not like to cook and CAN'T cook the items I love that are so fattening, I may be able to shed a few more pounds. Don't get me wrong, I am going to miss him like crazy in the evenings and I will miss my favorite foods. But I figured if this is going to be our situation for a while, I should make the best of it.

Starting tomorrow (he's cooking for me tonight) I will try to eat healthier and avoid my fried fatty foods.

If you have any good recipe for simple meals that are lean to help me, please let me know. You can post them here or email me at beesplace@comcast.net.

3 comments:

  1. Well Bee, I must say that you can plan your meals ahead of time and not have to worry too much about the cooking.

    I have a cooking blog which I share many easy recipes that anyone can do. And they are good for your waistline :)

    Stop by...http://myfrugalhealthykitchen.blogspot.com

    See you there,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you - I'm on the fussy side too and not that great a cook! I make a lot of pasta bakes because they're easy. Just cook some pasta - when it's cooked put it in an oven dish then add enough passata or low fat soft cheese to coat the pasta, add some tuna flakes or meat and any vegetables and then throw it in the oven on a medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes. It gies all crispsy on top and is visually satisfying too since it looks like you get a lot. I usually do 2.5-3 ounces of pasta per person. Trust me, I'm cooking challenged and I can vouch for it not being difficult :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bee...I've been posting lean recipes or healthy ones on my food blog, www.cominhomesrecipes.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete