Saturday, May 1, 2010

No wonder I can't seem to get anywhere...

As we struggle with weight loss, we strive to find the perfect diet, exercises that are manageable and a fortitude to withstand the whole process.

As I was working on my morning post for my blog, it occurred to me why I have no progress. I am a contrast of personalities.

I got up this morning and made chocolate chip cookies for the grandkids and hubby to have later today. I posted on Facebook my daily update and told about the cookies.

I did my blog and was thinking about things that you could always depend on when you were growing up. I talked about Mom's famous hamburgers and chocolate milk shakes.

Last night, Alexis, my 5 year old granddaughter, was telling me about the wonderful food McDonald's has and how she would just LOVE to go there after the aquarium today so her brother could get a Battle Force car in the kids meal. (She was down playing the fact that she would get a Barbie toy in hers).

So I began to contemplate why I have such little willpower. I have too much food in my life. It's not just the junk food. It's the eggs and bacon. It's the homemade pizza. It's a husband who is the best cook in the world and make spaghetti to die for. It's the grandkids who love to go to McDonald's and Wendy's. It's memories of my favorite comfort foods growing up.

I will overcome this. It's not that I eat large portions of anything, so I can't really cut back on that. It is just the types of food I eat. But I did buy some fresh fruit (apples and oranges) at the store the other day. So I will be strong and I will conquer.

6 comments:

  1. Good Morning, Donna!
    I love the picture of your "ladies" at the top! We are getting a new batch of Rhode Island Reds very soon. They seem to be the hardiest birds for this area of the country.

    I share your difficulty with having too much food in your life! I have 3 boys and I love to cook! It wasn't until my husband had some issues with high blood pressure and cholosterol that I began to look at our diet more seriously. God has interesting ways of waking us up to important issues, doesn't He?

    Well, off to plant the seed potatoes. My your a busy girl...so many blogs!...I can't wait have a chance to look through them all!
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura, Actually this was Bee who posted this sweet article..but you are right..I have a lot of blogs..Tee-hee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bee, I didn't mean to bump your post--I didn't see it, but I have to say that I know what you are going through! I haven't posted about it yet, but the Lord did a little wake up call for me at a club meeting where this topic came up. One of our members was losing weight like crazy. She basically has to avoid all junk food and eat healthy stuff with good fat, lean protein, low starch fruits, and veges all in proper balance. But absolutely no junk food white bread or potatoes and no dairy products. I've been doing it for two WHOLE days and dropped three more pounds...immediately and it can't be more water because that has already happened. But I'm so addicted to these things!!

    Hang in there and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering if I left out all white flour products, all processed food, all sugar and junk food, and all milk products..is there anything left to eat??!! I panicked!!

    But I discovered that there is life still, Breakfast: small pork chop, 4 strawberries, 1/2 c.applesauce, 3 slices avocado (good fat), 1/2c. spinach (yep..that's right!), and 1/2c.coconut milk with my Earl Grey Tea. Just totatlly weird!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bee, I'm sorry I keep commenting but I read your post AGAIN and how right you are!!! Our life is surrounded by food and rituals. The thought of giving up our family time which we've associated with food (I have a really big family and the kids all love cooking together.), leaves me uneasy and like I'm about to lose something precious. And it's almost impossible to get myself to eat a fruit or vege or drink plain water. Maybe it's a Texan thing...but I doubt it. :o) Thanks for focusing on this! It's so important..a key element to our struggle. We have to come up with new ways of looking at our family get-togethers. Maybe we could start trying to find healthy versions of our comfort foods or start new traditions in our family get-togethers with yummy dishes that are good for us. Food and Family associations are going to be tough to break, but not impossible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know that is sooo true and I don't know why I didn't realise it before! For ages I've wondered why I still eat the junk I used to eat when I was growing up...some of it I don't even LIKE all that much! But the "comfort" thing makes so much sense...I lead quite a stressful life (or maybe I just don't cope well with life) and I think I might be eating the junk to take me back to a time when things were simple and less stressful. That makes so much sense to me. Ok, sorry for rambling LOL.

    ReplyDelete