Wednesday, April 14, 2010

hello, all.....

i'm danielle & i love food. this afternoon in the grocery store i was overcome by the smell of fresh basil. what better dish to ring in spring than angel hair pasta tossed with garlic, olive oil, tomatoes & fresh basil? crusty italian bread would round the meal out nicely....
in june of 2008, i lost my job....looking at the positive side, i was no longer commuting to 2 1/2 hours daily to seattle. i could stay at home & finally be a stay-at-home mother for the first time in 7 years. i began to decompress & relax. i stopped worrying about getting workouts in & the local yoga studio where i practiced & taught closed down so i no longer felt the pressure to look fit & stress over my appearance. we spent that summer by the pool & bbq'd nearly every day. then fall came & all those great hearty meals.....
fast forward to the present & i at a recent trip to the doctor i discovered i'm nearly 190 lbs. as i never weigh myself i can only guess that i've gained around 40 lbs. since 2008. and while i've had fun, it's time to pull the plug on this "relaxed" lifestyle. i have always been athletic & i am certified to teach yoga. a former client is opening a new studio in may & wants me to participate. at this weight i would be too embarrassed to teach. i would think my abilities in yoga are non-existent which would require me starting from scratch.
i have always been able to eat what i want so long as i workout to burn it off. and generally, once i start moving my body, like anyone else, my food choices are more discriminating & disciplined. therefore, i really believe that moving one's body is the most crucial factor in weight loss. we get those wonderful endorphins going, we feel good about ourselves because we accomplished something & it's just a wonderful, huge snowball effect. it's just a matter of taking that first step towards a walk through town or short jog, but sometimes getting started is so hard. as i mentioned in a post to donna, that nike ad says it all..."just do it."
well, now i've made myself accountable to practice what i preach. i guess i'm hitting the trail tomorrow. i will keep you posted.
i wish the best of luck to all you ladies who are participating in this blog & it's a pleasure to share with you all...:)

4 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you, Danielle...I'm Deb...the oldest of the group!!! Like I posted yesterday, I love to walk...and that's about the only exercise I do...except for chasing grandsons occasionally!!! Those rascals are heavy so can that count as weight-lifting, too?!?!? Anyway...I'm so glad Donna started this for us so we can go down this road together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice to meet you, deb....i will take your example & walk tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok Danielle..I knew someone was talking about exercise..actually I think it's been several someones..Ha! Great story! I got my exercise in thank you...I spent a solid hour or more cleaning an old refrigerator which sold minutes after I posted it on Craig's list. I also had to clean up the washer and dryer which were gathering pollen in the carport. It was exhausting! But tomorrow..me and that exercise machine got to get to know one another..for sure! I am such a couch potato! I hated sports. Walking is nice though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to meet you Danielle. I'm Brenda (otherwise known as Bee). I'm so glad ot be a part of this blog. I think we will all be inspirations to each other.

    ReplyDelete