Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hello everybody

Thank you for inviting me to be on your Gettin' Thin blog. My name is Brenda Keefer and I am about 45 pounds overweight. I have a small frame and am only 5'0" tall. People tell me I don't need to lose weight, but I can feel the extra weight and I don't like it. all my extra weight is in my tummy, thighs and hips.

If I could shed just 20 pounds I would be much happier, feel better and look better. Most of my problem is lack of exercise. I own my own business and don't always get an opportunity to walk like I want to. Sitting at a desk all day doesn't help.

I hope that I can learn from others experiences as to what helps and what doesn't.

One problem I have is junk food. I have a weakness for Junior Mints and for Hershey's Kisses. I have always kept candy dishes on my desk in case I need a pick me up. Since a lot of my work is done via computer, I find myself reaching for the candy dish on a regular basis.

I have moved the dish off my desk, but as I'm walking through the kitchen I will stop and grab a handful. I know that is bad. I lack self-control. I think it is mostly habit.

I love to write. So I have decided that I'm going to buy a journal. Instead of writing what I eat, which will just make me hungry, I'm going to jot down a thought every time I have the urge to snack. I'll keep the journal and a pen where the candy dish was. Then instead of reaching for the snack, I'll reach for the journal and write down what made me want a snack. For example, an entry might read "Have been answering emails for two hours and needed a break to stretch." Then I will stretch and relax a moment. Think I'll get a relaxing fragrant sachet that I can sniff to relax when I go to write in the journal. I'll let you all know how it goes.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome Bee! Isn't it funny how we all have our own unique 'achilles' heel?" and we know exactly what that is. I think that's the best thing about this blog..not telling everyone how to lose weight..but encouraging them to do what they already know to do in their hearts. It's no fun going it alone!

    Great post! I need to start walking on my exercise machine. It's already too hot outside to walk. Gotta love that Houston weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna...I am a friend of Deb's. This is a long journey for me. I am excited about this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Donna. I've been needing a support team on this for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see you on here, Ms. Brenda!!! I think with a good support group, we'll be able to see results!!! I'm so glad Ms. Donna started this for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see you all...Welcome!

    ReplyDelete